Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lesson 1: Why I take photos



The first lesson in our creative journey is to think about why I take photographs. For me this is an easy question. I've thought about it a lot since I picked up the camera and it's only been refined with my 365 commitment.

First and foremost, I take photos to record memories. I treasure every moment of this life and want to remember it as it is. I want to remember how everyone I love looked. I want to remember what we wore, what we did, where we went and who we did things with. Basically, I want to capture our life and what was in it.










Next, I consider my photography a spiritual practice. It offers me perspective, focus and presence. It encourages me to see beauty even in times or places where it might not be immediately evident. Since starting my photographic journey, I no longer agree with the mass marketers as to what beauty is. I now see beauty much deeper than the skin. I see beauty in the moment, in the ordinary and in the mess. And in the beauty, I find gratitude; gratitude for life just as it is and just as it is not.









Lastly, I take photos as a creative outlet. It is the part of me I call "artist." The memory photos I take for me and my family. My artistic photos I take just for me. They are the photos that make my heart flutter. They take my breath away. My artistic photos meld my skill as a photographer with my photographic eye.








10 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous photos! I love how strong and confident your words are about why you photograph. That comes through in these wonderful images. It will be fun to come along on this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are incredible photos. Thank you for sharing so much of who you are and why you take pictures. It is a creative outlet that I already love and I just started. You have given me many more reasons to be excited about this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your photos your subjects are beautiful and i love the light and shadows and simplicity in some of them. you are certain of why you photograph and it shows through it really does looking forward to the journey myself and hope to be where you are one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only echo the comments above -- your images are so strong and stunning! They definitely were taken by someone who knows what they want! : )

    Our reasons to photograph are very similar -- I've been thinking and working toward creating more photographs with spiritual meaning and sharing beauty.

    Very lovely work! I'm excited to be in the same class with you ! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what great photos and what beautiful models. You have really captured the essence and beauty in all of them. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your clarity is refreshing. Your photos are uncluttered and precious...the daddy's hand on his little boy's tummy (finger on belly button) captivated me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this entry! Your photos are fabulous, and I can't wait to see more as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only echo the others who have commented on your wonderful post. You seem to be someone who has great clarity about your purpose, and your confidence is echoed in the images you capture. I'm so glad to be in this class with you and so many other talented artists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your images are stunning. There is a clarity in each, a crispness that I admire and would like to learn how to achieve. Your post resonates with me. I share similar motivations for photographing my world. Your post is also strong and clear - coincidence that I see that in your photos too?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photo's are simply breathtaking, you have beautiful daughters. I'd also like to be able to take photo's with such clarity. I like how you know why you are photographing. I hope to have the same strength of reason as you do.

    ReplyDelete